Coming Home Project is a non-profit organization devoted to providing expert consultation for community-based organizations that address collective and individual trauma. We also serve communities that promote social, economic, racial and environmental justice, helping participants, employees and leaders with custom-designed, culturally sensitive, integrative training that enhances wellbeing, builds self-care skills, counteracts compassion fatigue and burnout, and promotes collaboration, success, and sustainability.
With ten years experience providing leading-edge integrative trauma care, Coming Home Project has broad expertise in post-traumatic stress, wellness, and in cultivating and sustaining communities of healing, learning, and resistance.
Feedback from Program Participants
I would recommend this retreat to every OEF/OIF veteran or service member. This is the type of community building experience we need. This has changed my life!
-Participant of a Military & Veteran Family Retreat
I’d never had the chance to share with other combat vets since I left the Army shortly after I returned from deployment. Thank you for the opportunity to share my experiences in a safe and accepting environment.
-Participant of a Women’s Retreat
Talking with participants was important because I have felt alone and isolated over the last year; to see so many together that share the similar feelings and experiences was positive for me.
-Participant of a Service Provider Retreat
Waking Up From War: A Better Way Home For Veterans And Nations, by Joseph Bobrow, founding director of Coming Home, tells the stories of our veteran, families and care providers and documents our proven non-denominational model for creating optimal environments for healing and learning that transform war trauma.
Coming Home Project’s experienced, licensed psychotherapists continue to offer free confidential psychological counseling an evaluation for Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families in the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
Joseph Bobrow offers workshops based on the integrative Coming Home model for mental health professionals and related service providers working with trauma.
Consultation for Organizations
Joseph Bobrow offers consultation based on the integrative evidence-based Coming Home model:
- Staff Education, Training and Self-Care
- The Art of Cultivating and Sustaining Communities of Action
- Program Development, Implementation, and Evaluation
Areas of Expertise
- Cumulative trauma, traumatic loss, complicated grief, including but not limited to war trauma and its impacts on veterans, service members, and their families, providers and caregivers.
- Mindfulness meditation for trauma, stress reduction, emotional wellbeing, and spiritual growth.
- The post-traumatic stress continuum; accompanying problems such as substance abuse, family conflict, suicide, moral and spiritual injuries.
- Integrative approaches to transforming trauma and enhancing wellness including: meditation, qigong, outdoor experience, expressive arts, small support group facilitation, and animal assisted therapies.
- Self-care for providers and caregivers impacted by trauma.
- Spiritually informed approaches and practices for healing trauma and restoring wellbeing.